Hi! I’m Karen, the midlife mama. I’m a former civil rights attorney turned stay at home midlife mama. When I had my first son I was 40 and when I had my second son I was 44.
Even before I was trying to get pregnant, I made significant life changes in anticipation of becoming pregnant. I lost 120 lbs. And I quit smoking. And I stopped drinking Diet Coke. And I became a gym rat.
From the first moment I knew I was pregnant, my view of the world and my role in it shifted dramatically. Being an attorney trained me to research everything. I took to motherhood just as I took to a new lawsuit. Research, research, research.
I wanted to know how we could be as healthy and happy as possible and I was determined to find answers.
After my first son was born, I joined an Atlanta area parenting group and was mentored by some fabulous midlife mamas! By the time I had my second son, I wanted to pay it forward so I started my own local Atlanta moms group.
Many of us connected deeply, and as a second-time mother, I answered tons of questions from first-time moms in our group. As my boys got older and began preschool, there were coffee dates with other midlife mamas and great conversations about anything and everything!
I started this site to continue the connection and sharing with other mamas. I’d love for you to treat this site as your neighbor’s home – a comfortable place where we can all connect, chat, sip a latte or a glass of wine or three (no judgments here), share ideas and talk about the special place that is midlife.
Reading Brene Brown has changed me permanently. This quote is one of my favorites and it guides all that I want The Midlife Mamas to be for all of us:
20 Fun Facts About Me
- I love cooking – and I’m really good at it;
- I love singing and photography. My son calls those my “interests” not my “talents;”
- My fashion sense is early homeless with a touch of Target thrown in for dressing up;
- I love shopping for my boys and having them well dressed;
- I’m likely to be in the morning carpool line or at home during the day in my jammies;
- Some of my best friends are online and that taught me about virtual friendships;
- I didn’t experience truly unconditional love until I met my partner;
- Perfection is overrated. And if you insist on it, you’re probably messing it up anyway;
- I have tons of fun camping; but not when it’s hot. Timing is everything;
- I love gardening and used to read gardening catalogs and encyclopedias at bedtime. Nerd alert;
- I’ve parented my way through some intense emotions;
- I don’t consider myself a full-on hippie, but essential oils changed our lives. Truth;
- I’m on my second Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (a black and tan named “Merlin”) and I’ve now convinced myself that I cannot live without one despite my love for rescue dogs (a brilliant funky bananas mix named “Heidi”);
- If you’re nasty or insulting or frightening to my children, my reptilian brain and I cannot be responsible for what we will do to you. Or how much I may swear at you;
- If it’s blue, that’s the thing my kids will want to eat EVERY time. They know if freaks me out;
- I’m frequently confused about whether it’s time to continue my latte or switch to my Pinot. The time of confusion begins daily around 4:00 p.m.;
- Any red wine that costs less than $20 a bottle gives me heartburn. Snob alert;
- I love books – especially beautiful, thoughtful, engaging children’s books…real paper books;
- I still have a passion for social justice;
- Despite having been a civil rights attorney, I won’t teach my children racial tolerance.