During the holidays – you never know when a guest may call to let you know they just want to “stop by for a minute to say hello.” On one hand, I love that I have friends who feel comfortable enough to do that. But, if you’re like me, your house is not constantly what I would call “company ready.”
There are so many things to pick up and I can’t bear to feel like the neighborhood loser whose house always looks like a typhoon just raged through. You have to think and act fast! And you’ll need a plan.
I’m sharing my 3 step plan to have you kicked back on the sofa with a glass of bubbly in your perfectly presentable house in thirty minutes or less. Can you say “Martha Stewart?”
This post contains affiliate links. That means the if you purchase through my links, I will earn a small commission from the sale – at no extra cost to you. These small commissions allow me to keep The Midlife Mamas going and growing, so thank you.
Even as somewhat of an introvert, I’ve re-discovered my love of sharing the holidays with family and friends. And this little three-step process is a big part of that. But I refuse to rocket through the house snatching up this and that in a complete panic and stuffing things into closets. I want my guests to feel comfortable and welcome in my home and that just won’t happen if I come huffing and puffing to the door in an all out sweat.
I try to engage my guests’ senses. I’ll show you how!
So how do I make all this natural holiday cleaning happen? I have a secret: Grove Collaborative sends me my chosen monthly order of natural products PLUS (with my VIP membership) freebies throughout the year and they don’t charge me for shipping!
I’ve teamed up with Grove Collaborative this month and you won’t believe the deal they are offering The Midlife Mamas’ readers!
Start by snagging this FREE seasonal set of Mrs. Meyer’s holiday soaps (in the holiday scent of your choice) + Bubble Up soap dispenser! It’s a $35 value with your purchase of only $20.
Then use my holiday cleaning tips & tricks to make your house feel festive and party-ready.
Natural Holiday Cleaning Engages Your Sense of Smell
Scent has the power to make people happy and welcome. Remember the delicious scents coming from the kitchen when you were little? I bet you just inhaled and smiled.
So when I found out how toxic some scented candles are, I made a change to eliminate toxic scents in my house. But I was heart broken and missed the amazing smells.
That’s one reason I love Mrs. Meyers’ products; they use plant-based essential oils for their lucious scents, and so they scent your home beautifullyl without those nasty toxins that you don’t want.
Knowing this, the first step in my 3-step natural holiday cleaning process is to follow my nose.
- Mrs. Meyers has some super soy candles and great spray room fresheners that I start with. (Sometimes both if it’s been raining and I have a wet spaniel in the house!) Give the upholstery and directly under any ceiling fans a quick squirt. Another tips is a small squirt on a lightbulb or two. The warmth from the bulb will spread the scent.
- Squirt some Mrs. Meyer’s dish soap down your garbage disposal and run it for 30 seconds to get rid of smells. The suds will clean your drain and spread the soap’s scent around your kitchen.
- Don’t have time for a full-on bathroom cleaning? Me either. Swish the toilet bowl with a splash of cola or sparkling water and one drop of dish soap to make it sparkle and to spread the scent in your guest bath.
- Empty the kitchen trash can. It’s an easy step, but it goes a long way toward making your house feel and smell clean.
Now you’re 10 minutes into your 30-minute routine. Congratulations!
Natural Holiday Cleaning to Make Things Look Amazing!
- We call it a 5 minute “sweep” in our house. If the boys are home, I ask them to help. We put on music and a timer and pick up anything on the floor for 5 minutes. If the floor sweep was really fast, we’ll come back through for a table sweep.
- My kids never, ever leave their backpacks or shoes strewn by the door and junk mail never piles up on my counter. Ahem. But in case yours do… Stash the stuff in a closet. I won’t tell if you don’t!
- If you have noticable pet fur on upholstery, grab a piece of tape and pull it off. A damp rubber glove works as well.
- If you have time, a quick vacuum will make you shine like the homemaking goddess that you are. Sprinkle your carpet with baking soda (mixed with a drop or two of essential oil if you choose) before vacuuming to deodorize and revive the carpet fibers.
You have 5 minutes left! Carry on!
Natural Holiday Cleaning Keeps Guests From Touching Icky Stuff!
- Give your kitchen and bathroom counters and appliances a quick wipedown with a damp microfiber cloth. I prefer the e-cloth from Grove Collaborative — it grabs dirt and germs like a magnet. And I love Mrs. Meyers all purpose cleaner for this!
- I think my home’s sock stealing moster also slobbers all over all the bathroom mirrors in the house. To get the mirror shiny, fill a spray bottle with club soda and a drop of Mrs. Meyers dish soap. Give it a spritz, then wipe it really well with bunched-up newspaper.
At 29 minutes…go pour that glass of bubbly!
Bonus tip: Before the holidays are in full swing, stock up on essential cleaning supplies. Grove Collaborative delivers the best natural household products from Method, Mrs. Meyer’s, Seventh Generation and more right to your door. Talk about a holiday cleaning hack!
Guild the Lily (Totes Optional)
- Who doesn’t love lathering up with a nice hand soap? Put out one of these Mrs. Meyer’s holiday soaps and your guests won’t be able to resist.
- Fluffy towels make your bathroom feel like a five-star hotel. Wash towels with ½ cup of vinegar and Mrs. Meyers laundry soap to refresh and soften them up.
Here’s what I’ve discovered after using Grove: Grove’s delivery service gives me time. Time. Who can’t use more of that – to spend with your friends and family? Spend that time any way you chose; but I bet that you can find something better than reading labels hunting for toxins and hunting down non-toxic cleaning products that smell amazing in your local store.
I’ve partnered with Grove Collaborative this month and they’ve offered this amazing deal to The Midlife Mamas to share with you. When you sign up for Grove Collaborative using my link, you’ll get the Mrs. Meyer’s Holiday set (hand soap, dish soap, and all purpose spray) for FREE plus FREE SHIPPING.
If you’re already a Grove Collaborative customer, you know how amazing they are!!! Don’t worry, as a Midlife Mama reader, you’ll still get 50% off of the brand new and amazing Grove Collaborative Bubble Up.
I signed up for as a VIP and love the free gifts that I receive five times a year (sets usually worth $25-$35 each) – and completely free shipping every month. Not only is the free shipping amazing, you’ll get perks like free gifts, price matching, and personal customer service. Unlike so many companies today, Grove’s customer service is the real deal. They are super friendly and fun to work with.
Grove only has a limited number of sets available and the offer ends November 21, so grab yours now! Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for Grove Collaborative here. You’ll receive the Mrs. Meyer’s offer for free when you sign up! If you’re already a customer, you’ll receive the Grove Collaborative Bubble Up for 50% off.
- Answer 4 quick questions about your home that Grove Collaborative will then use to customize your first basket — this takes under 30 seconds!
- Once you’ve answered the questions, you can finalize your basket of products to suit your household needs by adding or removing items.
- To receive this offer, your order needs to be a minimum of $20. Choose the combination of products and scents you love and receive them in your first box.
- You made it! Click Finish & Pay and place your order.
Now that you’ve signed up – are you ready to receive your FREE printable 30-Minute Cleanup Checklist? Just click below, tell me where to send it and it will be on its way!